NeoPUTTY is a premixed bioactive bioceramic root & pulp treatment consisting of an extremely fine,inorganic powder of tricalcium/dicalcium silicate in a waterfree organic liquid. The product is packagedready-to-use. No mixing is required. NeoPUTTY is designed to set in vivo in the presence of moisture fromthe surrounding tissues.
Unlike inert, resin-based materials containing some MTA,… NeoPUTTY is:
• Bioactive; NeoPUTTY releases calcium and hydroxide ions from the surface, promoting the formation of hydroxyapatite to ensure bioactive sealing.
• Formulated with pure tri/dicalcium silicate powder and a radiopacifier.
• Dimensionally stable – unlike resin-based materials that shrink.
• Biocompatible, non-cytotoxic.
• More versatile, having more treatment indications.
• More radiopaque.
• Resin-free for maximum MTA concentration and maximum bioactivity. [Resinbased materials containing only some MTA-type cement have not consistently shown biocompatibility in cell cultures3,4, demonstrating a toxicity that may be attributed to incomplete resin curing.]
3 Adıgüzel M, Ahmetoğlu F, Eldeniz AÜ, Tekin MG, Göğebakan B. Comparison of cytotoxic effects of calcium silicate-based materials on human pulp fibroblasts Mehmet. J Dent Res Dent Clin Dent Prospects. 2019;13(4):241-246. 4 Collado-González M, García-Bernal D, Oñate-Sánchez RE, et al. Cytotoxicity and bioactivity of various pulpotomy
• The product has a 3-year shelf life.
• To prevent hardening of the NeoPUTTY, immediately recap after each use. Store the syringe in the protective aluminum container provided.
No applicator tip is needed. Remove the syringe cap and express the desired amount of NeoPUTTY on a pad. Use the instrument of your choice to deliver the putty to the treatment site. Immediately recap the syringe and replace in its protective aluminum container after each use.
There are 12 indications for use. Read IFU prior to use, See "Useful Links & Downloads"
Kit Size/ Dose
0.65gm - 9 applications
2.4gm - 32 applications
*Dose size varies depending on the treatment. In this table a dose size of 0.075 gm was used.
• For a pulpotomy, liner, base or pulp cap apply a layer at least 1.5mm thick.
• For root apexification gently compact the NeoMTA product in the apical region to create a 3 to 5mm apical barrier.
Working time at room temperature is >1 hr. Unlike NeoMTA 2, NeoPUTTY is formulated with a water-free organic liquid. When applied, the water from the apical tissues, dentinal tubules or pulp causes the product to set.
Use any convenient instrument, to deliver a small cone or cylinder of NeoPUTTY to the site. A Messing gun, amalgam carrier, Dovgan MTA carrier, or the MAP™ system may be used. Reversed paper points or gutta percha points can guide the putty in the root to the apex for apexification.
We recommend placing NeoPUTTY with a plastics instrument, Hollenbach instrument, amalgam carrier, or an MTA carrier. The material can be gently spread with a moist cotton pellet, amalgam plugger, or ball burnisher.
Yes, the mixture is immediately washout resistant so you can complete the restoration immediately after placing NeoPUTTY. NeoPUTTY will harden/set underneath the restoration. NeoPUTTY is dimensionally stable when placed with no shrinkage and negligible expansion.
It’s not required but a quick and easy method is to apply a layer of a flowable composite, light-cure glass ionomer, RMGI, IRM®, ZOE or any other restorative material over the NeoPUTTY prior to the final tooth restoration. If you use a flowable composite that requires etching, etch the tooth, not the NeoPUTTY, then proceed with the restoration.
NeoPUTTY will set in vivo in about 4 hrs. Setting begins in the presence of moisture from the apical tissues, dentinal tubules or pulp tissue.
NOTE: To prevent premature hardening of NeoPUTTY, immediately recap after each use.
NeoPUTTY should be stored at room temperature with the syringe cap tightly closed in its protective aluminum container. Refrigeration does not extend the shelf life and thickens the putty too much for immediate use.
• NuSmile does not manufacture a light-curing MTA. We prefer to maximize the concentration of bioactive powders in NuSmile products and deliver them in a formula that allows the bioactive powders to readily hydrate and form Ca(OH)2 for hydroxyapatite formation5 .
• Light-curable and dual-cure MTA products contain resins which dilute and inhibit the MTA’s bioactivity.
• Resins never cure 100%. Uncured resin leaves cytotoxic monomers in the MTA-resin matrix and in contact with the pulp.
• Resins shrink during curing; they are not dimensionally stable. NuSmile bioactive cements (MTAs) expand very slightly to ensure sealing.
5 Formosa L M, Mallia B, Camilleri J The chemical properties of light and chemical curing composite with mineral trioxide aggregate filler. Dent Mater. 2013 Feb;29(2):e11-9.
NeoPUTTY does not need mixing – it is a uniform, firm, non-tacky putty from beginning to end with no dry out between uses.
• NeoPUTTY has about 25% higher radiopacity than NeoMTA 2 (8.1 vs 6.5 mm equivalent aluminum).
• NeoPUTTY syringes have zero waste – the syringes allow efficient unitdose dispensing to the end of the syringe which has a positive placement plunger tip.
• NeoMTA 2 is a Powder/Gel hand-mix product designed for 10 vital pulp and endodontic uses, including obturation and sealing (refer to NeoMTA 2 IFU).
• Both products are bioactive bioceramic MTAs.
• Both products release calcium and hydroxide ions promoting the formation of hydroxyapatite from the surface to seal and support healing.
• Both products are resin-free for maximum bioactivity.
• Both products have initially high pH (alkaline/basic) when applied. Literature has shown such products to be antimicrobial in-vitro1.
• Both products are color stable, non-staining, containing tantalum oxide (tantalite) for radiopacity. Neither NeoMTA 2 or NeoPUTTY contain bismuth oxide, which causes tooth discoloration2 .
• Both products are immediately wash-out resistant when placed.
• Both products have low water solubility (<3%) when set.
• Both products are dimensionally stable with negligible expansion on setting.
• Both products contain extremely fine, hydraulic tri/dicalcium silicate powders.
1 The anti-microbial effect against enterococcus faecalis and the compressive strength of two types of mineral trioxide aggregate mixed with sterile water or 2% chlorhexidine liquid. Holt DM, Watts JD, Beeson TJ, Kirkpatrick TC, Rutledge RE. J Endod. 2007 Jul;33(7):844-7.